For 2 people
- 1/2 c polenta
- 2 c water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan
Sausage & sauce
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 c tomato sauce or canned whole tomatoes
- 2 sweet Italian sausages
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan, heat extra water in a kettle.
- Finely chop the onions, carrot and celery.
- If using whole tomato cans, chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Grate Parmesan
To make the Polenta
- As the water comes to a boil, add a pinch of salt and whisk in the polenta in a thin stream.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir every few minutes so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- If it gets too thick, add a little boiling water from the kettle.
- After cooking for the recommended time (check the package), it is time for a taste test! Turn off the heat when it reaches the desired thickness, add Parmesan and mix.
For Sausages and Sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan, and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add carrot and celery and cook well until tender.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. (If you are using canned tomatoes, add a little salt)
- In another skillet, brown the sausages over medium heat. This should take about 10 minutes. If it sticks to the bottom, add a little water.
- Transfer the sausages to a saucepan with sauce, cover and simmer over low heat for 25 minutes until the sausages are cooked through. Turn the sausages over once or twice on the way.
- Plate the polenta and add the sausage and sauce on top for an unforgettable savory dish.